Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] no upgrade path for windows servers?

2011-02-14 16:55:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] no upgrade path for windows servers?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:52:26 -0500

  Jeff Shanholtz schrieb:
>> > Finally, I assume that if I stay with 3.0.1 on the server, I can upgrade
>> > clients to 5.0.3, correct? I'm crossing my fingers that the client "status"
>> > window will be a little more informative than just a big blank window like
>> > it is in 3.0.1. :)
> don't know about the other things, but newer clients can't connect to
> an older director. The other way is ok, new director and older
> clients.
>
> Ralf

Recently, I've seen problems both ways.  On my 5.0.3 version director I can
no longer use v2.4.3 windows FD clients.  The 5.0.x clients also won't work
with older directors.  Normally this hasn't been the case with every
upgrade I've dealt with over the last 4 yrs or so, but a few changes were
made to the protocol to add abilities in the 5.0.0 version.

Additionally, you need the SD and Dir to be at the exact same version.

In summary, Dir and FD need to be at the same version, FD version should be
really close if you want to be sure you can use newer features, bug fixes, etc.