Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] no upgrade path for windows servers?

2011-02-10 02:29:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] no upgrade path for windows servers?
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs AT shanholtz DOT com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:27:01 -0800
On 2/9/2011 3:49 PM, Jeff Shanholtz wrote:

I see that server support has been pulled from the installer. I have 3.0.1 installed and configured on my windows 2003 server and it is working great. Even though there isn’t an installer for this configuration, is it possible to manually replace my 3.0.1 binaries with 5.0.3 binaries for storage and director services? I saw something about cross compiling but I don’t currently have a linux configuration in which to do this. Are the installerless binaries available anywhere for manual configuration or am I stuck with 3.0.1 forever?

Has the storage and director code taken a step backwards with regard to the windows platform or was their removal done simply to remove a pain point for users and thus reduce support related inquiries?

Finally, I assume that if I stay with 3.0.1 on the server, I can upgrade clients to 5.0.3, correct? I’m crossing my fingers that the client “status” window will be a little more informative than just a big blank window like it is in 3.0.1. :)

If you do not want to port and make a compilation of 5.0.3 on Windows it might be a good time for you
to install VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/ , create a virtual machine, and install a linux distro you
like (debian is widely used by the bacula people, I use CentOS some libraries are a problem when it comes to
gui stuff but the base install (fd,sd,dir,bconsole) work well), compile/install bacula and when you are comfortable
with it deploy a Linux machine.

Regards,
Randy