Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Nagios Monitoring of Backup Jobs

2011-02-07 08:02:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Nagios Monitoring of Backup Jobs
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:57:39 +0000
On 07/02/2011 12:06, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 2/6/2011 4:31 PM, Allan Black wrote:
>> 30 21 * * 5 /usr/local/nagios/bin/bacula_monitor Gershwin
>> 40 21 * * 5,6 /usr/local/nagios/bin/bacula_monitor -W Catalog
>
> One entry per job?

Sorry, yes. BTW, "Gershwin" and "Catalog" are the job names, and
Gershwin is scheduled for 21:30 on a Friday, Catalog for 21:40
on Friday and Saturday, exactly the same times as the monitor is
started.

The monitor script starts with a sleep, so it's OK to start it at
the same time as the backup.

>> I have also attached another script (bnu) which sends Nagios a passive
>> alert
>> to update a service with the status of a job which has already
>> terminated. I
>> use this script sometimes if I have to restart a job manually, but
>> didn't run
>> bacula_monitor again. If Nagios is still critical because the original
>> job
>> failed, bnu will update the Nagios service.
>
> How do I use bnu?

Again, sorry (I think the original email was getting a bit too big)
"bnu <jobname>" or "bnu -i <jobid>"

It looks in the "st dir" output for the jobid or the most recent run
of the job name, and updates the Nagios service with the termination
status. If it can't find the job in the director output, it will go
to the Catalog. (Dan - I've just realised - you use PostgreSQL, don't
you? You'll need to change the mysql command, although it won't
actually matter unless you try to update a really old job!)

Another apology (oh dear) - I should have said you'll need to change the
paths at the top of the script (but most people should be able to cope
with that!)

Allan