Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bacula mount request

2011-02-03 02:53:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bacula mount request
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:49:57 +0100
On Thursday 03 February 2011 00.37:35 Alan Brown wrote:
> On 02/02/11 23:29, Alan Brown wrote:
> > (Interestingly: after using tapeinfo, the PMR seems to have been
> > unlocked.....)
>
> Oops, no. It was a TapeAlert and they're only reported once.
>
> After another round of trying to unload the message reappeared.
>
> # tapeinfo -f /etc/bacula/DEVICES/MSSLY8-0-sg
> Product Type: Tape Drive
> Vendor ID: 'HP      '
> Product ID: 'Ultrium 5-SCSI  '
> Revision: 'I33H'
> Attached Changer: No
> SerialNumber: 'HU1032BTLP'
> TapeAlert[10]:   No Removal: Cannot unload, initiator is preventing
> media removal.
> MinBlock:1
> MaxBlock:16777215
> SCSI ID: 7
> SCSI LUN: 0
> Ready: yes
> BufferedMode: yes
> Medium Type: Not Loaded
> Density Code: 0x58
> BlockSize: 0
> DataCompEnabled: yes
> DataCompCapable: yes
> DataDeCompEnabled: yes
> CompType: 0x1
> DeCompType: 0x1
> Block Position: 1
>

> This has been driving me nuts for a long time.
>
> I'd _really_ like to find a repeatable way of making this happen outside
> Bacula in order to get the tape drive manufacturers to investigate
> instead of trying to blow people off.

I would recommend:

1. Ask HP *exactly* what the tape alert means.

2. Write a little program that you can put in the Bacula "unmount" script that
explicitly unlocks the drive door, then use mt offline to eject the tape.  The
combination of the two should unload the tape.  If they do not, ask HP if they
support Linux, and if they say yes, don't mention Bacula but ask them why you
are unable to unload a drive.

Kern