Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HP or IBM LTO drive

2011-02-02 02:00:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HP or IBM LTO drive
From: Andrea Conti <alyf AT alyf DOT net>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:45:02 +0100
 Hello,

> I'm curious what is the opinion of Bacula community about
> the quality of LTO devices made by HP vs IBM?

 From my --admittedly very limited-- experience is with LTO2 drives from
 HP and LTO3 ones from IBM I would say that while IBM drives "feel" more
 solidly built, from a technology point of view HP definitely has the
 lead. Typical examples are shorter loading times and a much better
 adaptive transfer rate algorithm (IBM drives need a stop/start for each
 tape speed change, while HP's can just switch on the fly).

 Can't really say much about reliability, though, as I have yet to
 experience any failures.

 andrea