Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...

2011-01-27 07:44:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:41:51 +0000
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:59:37PM +0100, ml ml wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT
> net> wrote:
> > On 01/27/11 06:12, Graham Keeling wrote:
> >> Perhaps 10GB becomes more reasonable if you allow more than one job per
> >> volume,
> >> but then you still have the problem of disk space being wasted because you
> >> cannot purge the volume until the last small 1MB job passes its retention
> >> time.
> >>
> >> I think this last problem is what Phil is trying to solve by setting either
> >> Maximum Volume Jobs or Volume Use Duration. But these solutions seem
> >> unsatisfactory for disks (I can't comment on tapes because I don't know
> >> enough
> >> about them).
> >> You are wasting space if the volume is not full up by the time Volume Use
> >> Duration expires.
> >
> > Define "full".  Disk volumes aren't like packing crates.  They're more
> > like balloons.  They grow as you add data to them.
> >
> >> And you are wasting space if the volume is not full up with Maximum Volume
> >> Jobs.
> >
> > Again, how is it "wasting space"?  A disk volume doesn't preallocate
> > space to hold the maximum size of the number of jobs you might write
> > into it.  A disk volume consumes only as much space as the data you
> > wrote into it.
>
> If i set Maximum Volume Bytes = 10GB then it uses the full 10GB at the
> very first run as full-backup. But the increments later get always
> written to new Volume Files. E.g.
> Volume-0001: 10GB (from full run)
> Volume-0002: 10GB (from full run)
> Volume-0003: 10GB (from full run)
> Volume-0004: 126MB (from full run)
> Volume-0004: 7MB (incremental run later on...)
>
> I would have expected, that it would ALWAYS append to my volume until
> it reaches its "Maximum Volume Bytes" (here 10GB) limit.
>
> Again, here is my Pool Definition:
>
> Pool {
>  Name = File
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
> Volumes
>  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>  Volume Retention = 14 days
>  Maximum Volume Bytes = 10GB
>  Maximum Volumes = 500
>  Label Format = "Volume-"
>
> }

I first thought that you need to set 'Maximum Volume Jobs'. But the
bacula-5.0.3 source seems to indicate that the default is 0, which means
no limit.

Perhaps bacula will use all the empty volumes first, then start writing
additional jobs to them.

So, my two suggestions are:
a) Define 'Maximum Volume Jobs' and see what happens.
b) Set 'Maximum Volumes' to be small and see what happens.