Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...

2011-01-27 07:02:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...
From: ml ml <mliebherr99 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:59:37 +0100
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
wrote:
> On 01/27/11 06:12, Graham Keeling wrote:
>> Perhaps 10GB becomes more reasonable if you allow more than one job per
>> volume,
>> but then you still have the problem of disk space being wasted because you
>> cannot purge the volume until the last small 1MB job passes its retention
>> time.
>>
>> I think this last problem is what Phil is trying to solve by setting either
>> Maximum Volume Jobs or Volume Use Duration. But these solutions seem
>> unsatisfactory for disks (I can't comment on tapes because I don't know
>> enough
>> about them).
>> You are wasting space if the volume is not full up by the time Volume Use
>> Duration expires.
>
> Define "full".  Disk volumes aren't like packing crates.  They're more
> like balloons.  They grow as you add data to them.
>
>> And you are wasting space if the volume is not full up with Maximum Volume
>> Jobs.
>
> Again, how is it "wasting space"?  A disk volume doesn't preallocate
> space to hold the maximum size of the number of jobs you might write
> into it.  A disk volume consumes only as much space as the data you
> wrote into it.

If i set Maximum Volume Bytes = 10GB then it uses the full 10GB at the
very first run as full-backup. But the increments later get always
written to new Volume Files. E.g.
Volume-0001: 10GB (from full run)
Volume-0002: 10GB (from full run)
Volume-0003: 10GB (from full run)
Volume-0004: 126MB (from full run)
Volume-0004: 7MB (incremental run later on...)

I would have expected, that it would ALWAYS append to my volume until
it reaches its "Maximum Volume Bytes" (here 10GB) limit.

Again, here is my Pool Definition:

Pool {
 Name = File
 Pool Type = Backup
 Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
 AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
 Volume Retention = 14 days
 Maximum Volume Bytes = 10GB
 Maximum Volumes = 500
 Label Format = "Volume-"