Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...

2011-01-27 06:09:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to organize File-Bases Volumes...
From: ml ml <mliebherr99 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:08:05 +0100
Hello,

> Um, 1Mb volume size limit is "reasonable" on which planet?

Well, this was just for testing to see what happens if i run out of Volumes.

>> The big disadvantage is that i will run out of Volumes soon since each
>> Backup Job will create a Volume, even if its only 1MB big.
>> Can i set "Maximum Volumes = 64000". I guess not since autolabeling
>> starts with -0001.
>>
>> I also failed to "reuse" the old Volumes since they are on one Pool
>> but have diffrent "Archive Device" paths.
>>

>> Any idea how to solve this?
>
> With your settings, setting volume size to something saner like, say,
> 10GB or more would solve most of your problems.  But frankly, setting
> size limits is far from the best way to handle disk volumes in the first
> place.  You're much better off to specify a Maximum Volume Jobs
> sufficient to hold a day's or a weeks' worth of backups, or setting a
> Volume Use Duration just short of 24 hours or 7 days (or however long
> you want to use a single Volume before moving on to the next one).

I think thats what i dont quite understand yet. I will get X-Volumes
here with the Storage Paths:

/mnt/backup/bacula/hostA/Volume-0001
/mnt/backup/bacula/hostA/Volume-0003
/mnt/backup/bacula/hostA/Volume-0006

/mnt/backup/bacula/hostB/Volume-0004
/mnt/backup/bacula/hostB/Volume-0005

Now how can i automatically "resuse" or "recycle" the Volumes
Volume-0001, Volume-0003 and Volume-0006. They can be overwritten if
they are older than 14 Days.

Its tricky since in the Pool i have Volume-0001 until Volume-9999. But
due to the "Archive Device" Path for each Client, the Volume-0001 in
my example here can not be used by Client "hostB".

Maybe i am thinking too complex here?

Cheers,
Mario