Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2003 agent performance

2010-12-29 17:09:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2003 agent performance
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Richard Amerman" <ramerman AT roadmasterinc DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:06:44 +1100

> I'm having issues with the performance of the bacula agent, 5.0.3
32bit,
> on Win 2003 32bit installed cleanly in a Virtualbox VM with 4 procs
and
> 3GB ram, with little in use.
>
> This machine uses very little cpu under normal load but when a bacula
> backup starts up the cpu usage climes to 89% but the bacula fd process
is
> only a part of that, the rest is not accounted for, I'm wondering if
it is
> the VSS system.
>
> It does not matter if the job is a full or diff job.
>
> This VM is hosted on a CentOS 5.5 64bit box with 2 x Quad Zeon and
RAID 5.

> The Bacula server is running on the same CentOS box, also 5.0.3.
>
> Everything else is working great with the system, it is only the CPU
> usage. I'm trying to do an hourly diff so this CPU usage is making the
> server almost unusable for 5-15 minutes every hour.
>

> I'm just looking to see if anyone has seen anything like this and/or
has
> any advice.

Do you have any virus protection active? If you had an on-access virus
scanner running then it could seriously slow you down depending on how
it is configured. Worst case it could be scanning every file bacula
touches.

VSS needs a bit of effort to complete the snapshot, but once complete,
access to the snapshot doesn't incur any additional overheads.

James