Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention after migration

2010-12-28 21:26:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention after migration
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:22:34 -0500
On 12/28/2010 9:09 PM, Dermot Beirne wrote:

> I have put the Job and File retention into each client, setting them
> to the max volume retention (10 years) as you suggested Dan.  It was
> only have reading the thread Martin linked to, that this made sense to
> me.

I hope it works.  :)

> I expect the volume retention specified in the pools will enforce  the
> desired effect of (by overriding) the File/Job retention I was trying
> to use for each Pool.  I have updated all volumes from pool.
>
> There are 2 things I don't full understand yet:
> 1. Will migrated jobs assume the volume retention of the tape pools
> (destination), or the disk pools (source)?

I don't know.  I expect it to be the destination pools.  The bug
described by Martin indicates this is not the case.

> 2. Will the Volume Retention force the pruning of the Jobs/Files after
> the volume is purged/recycled, or will the Job/File records remain in
> the db for the full 10 years?

The lesser retention value always applies. If volume retention is
reached, you lose the volume.  If job retention is reached, you lose the
job, regardless of volume or file retention.  Reach the documentation on
recycling.  It explains it there.

>  I presume the Job/Files records will be
> pruned at the same time as the volume gets purged, as otherwise the
> jobs/file records would point to a volume that no longer contained
> that data.

That will be the case if Job/File retention >= Volume retention.  If
this is not the case, the Job/File data will disappear sooner.

 > However, Dan you say you only prune every 3 years.

To be precise, pruning occurs at the end of each job.  What is pruned is
anything more than 3 years old.

 > Does
> that mean you have enough volumes that you don't need to recycle for 3
> years?

I hope so.  If I run out of media, I will adjust my retention periods.

> If I wanted to achieve something like that, I would need a
> serious amount of extra tapes.

I have about 300 tapes for about 11TB of data.

At some point, I'll look at saving quarterly full backups for a longer
period of time.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/