Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention after migration

2010-12-23 17:48:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention after migration
From: Dermot Beirne <dermot.beirne AT dpd DOT ie>
To: dan AT langille DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:45:23 +0000
Hi Dan,

> According to the above, Media ID 896 has a retention period of 2,851,200
> seconds (or 33 days).

That's correct, and that's what I would expect.

> Aren't Job and File retention specific to a client, not a Volume?

I know they can be specified on the client side, but I though pool
definitions (where I have defined them) over rides this.  I only
specify a job retention there because it's mandatory, but ignored if
defined in the pool.  Am I wrong?

> What I do, or have tired, and have not tested is putting Job and File
> retention to a value equal to the maximum Pool retention value.
>
> Thus, in your case, your maximum Volume retention is 10 years.  I suggest
> you want Job and File retention set at 10 years.
>
> Would that help you?

I'm not sure why it would help, as it appears to be ignoring my
current retention times at the moment.
Do you know if the retention periods of the new pool (post migration)
are applied to the jobs that are migrated.  It looks like the disk
pool retentions (just a few days) are being used instead.

If I specify a 10 year retention on the clients definition for jobs
and files, will this not mean an endlessly growing database that never
gets pruned.

Dermot.