Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008 R2 FD issues

2010-09-28 14:22:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008 R2 FD issues
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:19:25 +0000
>I have seen this several times. Particularly with slow laptop clients
>and compression turned on. Some NIC drivers appear to shutoff power to
>the network interface after a period of network inactivity, and I
>believe the inactivity is probably due to the laptop being too
>underpowered to compress large files quickly enough to prevent the NIC
>from powering down. Bacula relies on the TCP sockets remaining open.
>When the client drops the socket to conserve power, Dir sees the dropped
>network connection as an unrecoverable error condition. On some clients,
>updating the NIC driver and/or disabling the NIC power management solved
>the issue.
>
>Also, some "smart" switches can likewise drop the connection after a
>period of inactivity.

Josh,
Appreciate the follow up here. I am not using compression, and these servers
are either large HP DL's or vm's on beefy HP DL's so power isn't an issue. Given
the variety of effected nics and fact the problem manifests only the Win2008r2
clients I'd say it was the fd? I had tried (possibly incorrectly) playing with
timeouts
and I will post back once I am on site.

Things were working well until recently so I am pretty sure an update to the OS
has probably caused this by breaking something for the FD software. None of the
similar hardware running Win2003 is affected.

Thanks!
jlc