Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "Hello" counts as a "Job" to bacula-fd?

2010-09-23 14:20:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "Hello" counts as a "Job" to bacula-fd?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:17:27 -0400
On 09/23/10 14:00, Sean Clark wrote:
>   I've been setting maximum jobs to 2 for most file daemons around here,
> since we should never actually be running more than 1 job (but we have
> room to run a second simultaneous job in case I ever think of a reason
> that we need to).
>
> Having mistakenly forgotten to set "Allow Duplicate Jobs=no", I now have
> a user whose laptop is running two simultaneous "Full" 100GB+ backups.
> I went to cancel the later-starting of the two and...I'm denied.  The
> director appears to hang for several minutes before finally giving me a
> "Like, Dude, Something Went Wrong!" message.  The error message suggests
> the problem is that I've hit the "maximum concurrent jobs" limit on the
> FD  (as I'm pretty confident that of the other two options, the
> passwords match and the two simultaneously-running jobs suggest there's
> nothing currently wrong with the networking...).
>
> I find I can't even get client status.  "status client=(hostname)" for
> that system gives me:
>
> 23-Sep 12:46 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Error sending Hello to
> File daemon at "(hostname):9102". ERR=Interrupted system call
>
> Does every connection count as a "job"?

No, but it does count as a *connection*, so if you have concurrency on
the client set to 1, then any other access while a job is running will
be denied or time out.  By the sound of it, you need to increase the
concurrency on the client.

> And do I have any recourse
> other than either wondering if one of the jobs will actually finish
> getting through the remaining 70+GB before the end of the day when the
> user will no doubt unplug his laptop and go home with it (leaving us
> still needing to get a full backup to run again most of the day
> tomorrow), or halting the bacula director entirely to "crash" the job,
> also probably leaving us unable to finish the full backup before
> quittin' time today and therefore still needing to do a full backup
> tomorrow again?

By the sound of it, you're pretty much between a rock and a hard place
there.  If the Director can't connect to send a cancel, then you really
have no mechanism for killing just one of the running jobs.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.