Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] different filesets for different job-types?

2010-09-21 14:19:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] different filesets for different job-types?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:16:27 -0400
On 09/21/10 13:47, Stefan Palme wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a backup strategy with one Full backup once a week and
> Incremental backups on all the other days.
>
> Now there is a special file in the corresponding FileSet. I want this
> file to be backed up only when the Full backup runs. The file changes
> very often, but the Incremental backups should ignore this file and NOT
> backup it (yes, I will only get backups of this file once a week, but
> this is intentional).
>
> I started writing two different FileSets - one including this file and
> the other one without this file. But there seems to be no way to specify
> different FileSets for Full .vs. Incremental backups. My current
> configuration looks something like this (simplified):
>
> Job {
>   Name = "Backup"
>   Type = Backup
>   Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
>   FileSet = "Full Set"
> }
>
> Schedule {
>   Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>   Run = Full        sun     at 2:30
>   Run = Incremental mon-sat at 2:30
> }
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = "Full Set"
>   Include {
>     @ListOfFiles
>     File = /the/special/file
>   }
> }
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = "Incremental Set"
>   Include {
>      @ListOfFiles
>   }
> }
>
> How can I specify that my Incremental backups use the "Incremental Set"
> instead of the "Full Set" ?

The short answer is, you can't.  All levels of a given job must use the
same Fileset.  To do otherwise ... well, let's just say that That Way
Lies Madness, and leave it at that.

Allow me to propose a much simpler and safer alternate solution to your
problem:
Use a single Fileset that does NOT contain the Special File.  Create a
RunBefore Job script which, ONLY FOR FULL BACKUPS, snapshots the Special
File into a reserved location that *will* be backed up, then
(optionally) a RunAfterJob script that unlinks the copy after it's been
backed up.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.