Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maildir and mysql plugin

2010-08-24 03:55:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maildir and mysql plugin
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:52:44 +0100
Hi,

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> 2010/8/23 Marcio Merlone <marcio.merlone AT a1.ind DOT br>
>
> > I was wondering... would be nice to have a maildir backup plugin, where
> > one could backup a maildir and have its contents indexed and restorable
> > by sender, subject, date, attachments, etc.. I could try to write one
> > myself, but wouldn't have the required skills and time. Has anyone ever
> > though about this? Is it doable?

We backup a cyrus imap server with Bacula.  It doesn't use Maildir, but
uses an MH-like format which also consists of a directory of files for each
mail folder.  I imagine such a plugin could probably support Cyrus also.

> It is a good idea. It should be easy. The problem is, who wants to use it?

If it were there and worked for cyrus, I would use it and it would be handy
to be able to restore specific emails.  Right now, the easiest thing to do
is usually to restore the full mailbox, reconstruct it and then pick out
the emails which one wants over imap.  On a very big mailbox (we have users
with > 50000 emails in one mailbox), that could be a pain.

Whether that is sufficient utility to justify its implementation and
maintenance I'm not sure.  We don't do a lot of these single-email
restores.

Gavin