Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed

2010-08-05 11:00:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed
From: Henry Yen <henry AT AegisInfoSys DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:57:21 -0400
On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:09:06AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Henry Yen <henry AT aegisinfosys DOT com>
> wrote:

> > On (at least) Linux, /dev/random will quickly block - use /dev/urandom
> > instead.
>
> Since these tend to be slow I would just create a large file from one of
> these.

Well, for this case you shouldn't simply pick one or the other.

Again, on Linux, you generally can't use /dev/random at all -- it will
block after reading just a few dozen bytes.  /dev/urandom won't block,
but your suggestion of creating a large file from it is very sensible.
/dev/urandom seems to measure about 3MB/sec or thereabouts, so creating
a large "uncompressible" file could be done sort of like:

   dd if=/dev/urandom of=tempchunk count=1048576
   cat tempchunk tempchunk tempchunk tempchunk tempchunk tempchunk > bigfile

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York