Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed

2010-08-05 07:28:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed
From: ekke85 <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:25:12 -0400

Quote&#58;
Hi

I have a Quantum Scalar i500 and it works in Bacula, but it is very
slow. It writes at 22mb/sec. The drives should be able to do a lot more
then that. I have to backup 11TB that takes a couple of days to
complete, I don't want to think how long it would take to restore Sad
This is the output I get from btape without hardware compression&#58;

* did you enable &#40;at least attribute&#41; spooling?
* with what speed can you actually read the data ? &#40;try to make a tar of
a large directory "time tar -cf /dev/null <path/to/directory>" &#41;
* is the storage daemon on the same machine as the 11tb data?

- Thomas

Hi Thomas

The spooling attribute was not enabled, I have enabled it now. This is what I
get writing to disk and then also writing that file to tape with tar:

This is a 10gb file to disk&#58;
&#93;# dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/bigfile bs=1M count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
10485760000 bytes &#40;10 GB&#41; copied, 189.551 seconds, 55.3 MB/s

This is writing that 10gb file with tar to tape&#58;
&#93;# time tar -czf /dev/Drive1 /home/bigfile
tar&#58; Removing leading `/' from member names

real&nbsp; &nbsp;2m53.655s
user&nbsp; &nbsp;2m39.219s
sys&nbsp; &nbsp;0m28.415s
&#93;#

The 11Tb I have to backup is on a NetApp, the NetApp is mounted via NFS on the
backup host and is getting the data from there to write to disk.

ekke85