Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed

2010-08-09 16:18:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Quantum Scalar i500 slow write speed
From: Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: Paul Mather <paul AT gromit.dlib.vt DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 07:49:10 +1200
Paul Mather wrote:

> By definition, random data are not compressible.  It's my understanding that
> the "compressed capacity" of tapes is based explicitly on an expected 2:1
> compression ratio for source data (and this is usually cited somewhere in the
> small print).  That is a reasonable estimate for text.  Other data may
> compress better or worse.  Already-compressed or encrypted data will be
> incompressible to the tape drive.  In other words, "compressed capacity" is
> heavily dependent on your source data.

Agreed.

Looking at our library of around 100 LTO4 tapes, (800GB
uncompressed/1600GB uncompressed), using hardware compression, the
average full tape content is about 1000GB. >90% of the content is
standard and high definition video frames - largely random.

However there are some tapes with over 2TB on them, containing 2 bit
images where large areas of the frame are the same pixel value.

Regards,

Richard