Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula restore runs forever - bootstrap creation

2010-07-30 05:22:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula restore runs forever - bootstrap creation
From: news.only AT hm-dat DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:06:30 +0200
Hello,

I tried to  restore one single file from a LTO-4 drive installed into
a Quantum SuperLoader3 changer device.

The file in question was just a small (15 kB) one. It was positioned
somewhere in the middle of a tape. The tape contained about 200 backup
sessions in about 280 "tape-files". About 150 jobs where already purged,
the file to be restored was in a session not purged. The tape
contained approx. 800 GB and was in "Error"-Condition after a crash
some time in the past. I use bacula version 5.0.1 with MySQL on SuSE
Enterprise 9.

When I did the restore I got the following bootstrap-file:

---------------------8<----------------------

Storage="SuperLoader3"
Volume="KYE713L4"
MediaType="LTO-4"
Device="LTO-4"
Slot=1
VolSessionId=129
VolSessionTime=1275651480
VolAddr=1060856922112-1060856999615
FileIndex=111445
Count=1
Storage="SuperLoader3"
Volume="KYE713L4"
MediaType="LTO-4"
Device="LTO-4"
Slot=1
VolSessionId=129
VolSessionTime=1275651480
VolAddr=0-1078036843257
FileIndex=111445
Count=1

---------------------8<----------------------

The restore run "forever" and I cancelled it.

Started the storage daemon as following:
bacula-sd -vfd 255 | tee sd.log

and tried the restore again.

The storage daemon read the tape sequentially from the beginning, as
could clearly be read in the sd.log without seeking the right file on
tape.

I created a new bsr with the following

---------------------8<----------------------
Storage="SuperLoader3"
Volume="KYE713L4"
MediaType="LTO-4"
Device="LTO-4"
Slot=1
VolSessionId=129
VolSessionTime=1275651480
VolAddr=1060856922112-1060856999615
FileIndex=111445
Count=1

and executed the restore again. This time it just took several minutes
to restore the right file and the sd.log contained "fsf 247 files
to ...". Perfect!

So, what might be the cause for the creation of the erroneous bootstrap
entry (VolAddr=0-1078036843257)?

TIA
Michael