Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula + Postgres : copy batch problem

2010-07-30 03:57:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula + Postgres : copy batch problem
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:53:19 +0100
Bacula has bailed out near the end of a 6.5TB backup (which is really
frustrating!)

    Fatal error: sql_create.c:843 Batch end postgresql.c:748 error ending
    batch mode: ERROR:  could not extend relation 1663/17472/17828:
    wrote only 4096 of 8192 bytes at block 98374
    HINT:  Check free disk space.

on postgresql 8.3.

This is the same issue as Holger Rauch's problems reported here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg41952.html
This is with a backup spooling to a local holding disk. The job spool
sizes are set at 50G on a spool directory size of 300G. No problems
there.

My database is here:
    /dev/sda3             9.2G  5.4G  3.4G  62% /var
only 1% of the inodes are used.

The database itself is only just over 500MB.

I've done some searching at it appears that the best response to this
problem is from Postgresql's Tom Lane:
http://markmail.org/message/shclbb4iaphypswv His suggestion is that the
query made a massive temporary file that caused /var to overfill. Also
see http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-performance AT postgresql DOT
org/msg31231.html

Clearly there is a problem with the size of the temporary file used
during the batch copy update. Since there are successful inserts into
the log table milliseconds later this clearly points to a problem in the
way Bacula inserts data in batch mode. Is it not possible to change this
arrangement to use sequential inserts instead?

I'm also keen to know if I can append to this large job to try and
retrieve the set of data, or do I have to start again?

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
rory AT campbell-lange DOT net