Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status report

2010-07-23 12:45:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status report
From: Thomas Bennett <bennetttm AT appstate DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:15:13 -0400
Thanks for all the work you do, this sounds great.  Sounds a lot like the
Fedora Linux release cycle the last time I looked at it.  Good luck on moving
to the new server and thanks to UKFast.

Thomas

On Friday 23 July 2010 11:54:03 Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a sort of mini-Bacula status report on the following:
>
> 1. Next release
>
> 2. New release cycle
>
> 3. New bugs tracking database
>
> 4. New Bacula server (www.bacula.org)
>
> 5. New Bacula source distribution server
>
> 1. Next release:
> Before the end of August, we will be releasing the next version of Bacula
>  -- version 5.0.3 which is a bug fix update to 5.0.2.  This release is
>  almost ready and the most recent code is in the SF bacula git repository
>  under Branch-5.0
>
> 2. New release cycle:
> The little code we currently have for the next major release is in the SF
> bacula git repository under Branch-5.1.
>
> We are considering to moving to a regular 6 month release cycle. The
>  advantage of such a cycle is that it gets features out to you faster.  The
>  disadvantage is that it doesn't work so well in small projects like Bacula
>  if there are not sufficient contributions.
>
> Such a release would consist of the following points:
>
> - A release every 6 months
> - The deadline is not absolute and could be extended to 9 months if there
>  were insufficient new submissions.
> - There will be far fewer or no bug fix updates as they are not really
>  needed if we can maintain a 6 month cycle.
> - Two months before the projected release we will decide if there are
>   sufficient new features to release
> - The release count down will consist of 3 phases
>      1.  We will add all new approved features
>           The first 4 months after a release this phase will go into
>           effect for the next release
>    - 2. Only very small new features (a few lines) will be added
>           Two months before the final release this phase will go into
>           effect.  Note, this phase can be delayed 3 months if insufficient
>           new features are submitted
>      3. Only bug fixes
>          This phase will go into effect one month before the release
>
> Under this scheme, we are currently in Phase 3 for the 5.0.3 release, and
>  the next major release (5.2.0) would be made before mid-January 2011, and
>  is currently under development in Branch-5.1 on Source Forge.
>
> I would appreciate comments on this proposed new "deadline" release cycle.
>
> 3. New bugs tracking database
> Sometime in early August (possibly slightly before) we will be moving the
> current Mantis based bug tracking system to a new RT based system hosted by
> Bacula Systems.  The upside is that the RT system is far more powerful,
> flexible and adaptible, and most important of all, it allows email
>  are most things that have more features) and that it will require everyone
>  to re-register for the new system.  In addition, if you don't want to rely
>  on just the community to furnish bug fixes, you will be able to subscribe
>  to a bug fix service that is more professional and has a guaranteed
>  response time (not to be mistaken for a guaranteed fix time).  More on
> [...]

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/