Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Removing bad jobs from the database? Howto?

2010-07-19 14:51:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Removing bad jobs from the database? Howto?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:48:31 -0400
On 07/19/10 10:25, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> I think I'm beginning to understand a bit more now. I setup my bacula
> setup as a test, and I expanded out from there. Once I create a new
> pool, and then migrate all the good jobs to that pool, all that good
> data is saved, but I guess if a volume has part of a bad job on it, then
> that stays as well, but I'm pretty sure that I have one job per volume,
> so I should only get good data that way.

Migration works job-by-job, not volume-by-volume.  The point of a
migration in this case would be to migrate the good jobs to a new volume
in another pool, then discard the old volumes containing the data from
the failed jobs.

> At this point, I guess I have a new question, which would be, if I no
> longer need a pool anymore, what's the best way to nuke it from the
> database? Or will it be empty anyway, once all the remaining jobs, which
> are bad are removed from it?

I think you are confusing volumes and pools here.

Personally, what I would do in your case is solve the problem that's
causing your jobs to fail, first.  THEN worry about cleaning up your
data, and don't be afraid to just dump the entire catalog and all the
volumes and make a clean start once you have everything working.  But at
the moment, if you're trying to sort good data from bad while half your
backups are still failing and you don't yet know why, it's a bit like
trying to bail a lake dry with a bucket during a rainstorm.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.