Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [semi-solved] LTO-4 tape: only 20mb/sec when used with bacula

2010-07-15 11:48:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [semi-solved] LTO-4 tape: only 20mb/sec when used with bacula
From: Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>
To: Lukas Kolbe <l-lists AT einfachkaffee DOT de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:45:40 +0200
Hi,

Sorry to warm up this slightly old discussion, but since I'm suffering
from a similar problem, I just stumpled upon this thread while
searching for a solution.

In my setting, it's a disk-to-disk-to-tape setup, I'm writing the data
from my clients to a RAID-6 storage (15 x 1,5TB storage system). Via a
Copy job the full backups are to be copied to a Tandberg 24-slot LTO-4
changer (one drive).

According to "btape speed", this drive can have rates up to 214 MB per
second with default data, and about 104 MB per second with the random
data test.
When copying file volumes with dd, I get up to 90 MB per second throughput.

The copy job itself does only write with speeds between 5 and 20 MB
per second according to the bacula job output, while reading about 180
MB per second from the storage disk.

I'm very concerned about this, because I got to manage 130 clients
with a overall volume of 5 Terabyte, and with that low copy speed, it
takes almost more time than the schedule interval for the full backups
has to offer, so I'm open for any hints on speeding up this issue.

My setting is quite simple. All incremental jobs are in the
FileStorage-Default pool, all full jobs are in the FileStorage-Full
pool with TapeCopyPool as nextpool reference, and the third pool is
the TapeCopyPool, where the tapes reside. Then there is one copy job
with "PoolUncopiedJobs" set.

So, AFAIK quite simple, but not completely working as I expected.

--
Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter