Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs running twice?

2010-07-06 11:10:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs running twice?
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:07:30 -0400
On 07/06/10 08:01, Jon Schewe wrote:
> On 07/01/2010 10:04 AM, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>> On 07/01/10 10:29, Jon Schewe wrote:
>>
>>> Although the more annoying thing is question 2, any takers?
>>>
>>> 2) So while the long job was running the daily job was paused until the
>>> long job finished (as I explained in 1), the really annoying thing was
>>> that a second daily job was put in the schedule queue even though there
>>> was one already scheduled and waiting, so when the long job finished,
>>> each of my clients was backed up twice again inside of 6 hours, rather
>>> than the second daily job just being dropped (which I would have
>>> expected). Is there a way to change this behavior?
>>>
>> Hi Jon...
>>

>> The option you are looking for in this case is "Allow Duplicate Jobs = no" so
>> that when the second "daily" job is queued it will be prevented from
>> starting.
>>

> Thanks, why isn't this the default?

Hi Jon

Well, I am not the author, so I can't answer that directly, but I can say that
from my experience with Bacula it is quite modular, and quite flexible such
that it can be molded to fit just about any environment or configuration
requirement.

But with flexibility comes complexity and sometimes it can be difficult to
find a specific option you are looking for - which is why this list is such an
excellent resource. :)

One person's idea of what should be default can be quite different from
another's - but at least with Bacula you can change a variable to quickly suit
your need and you're off.

In the case of the "Allow Duplicate Jobs" option, others may actually want
duplicate jobs to stack up and run consecutively - I can't imagine why either,
but I am sure someone on this list will read this and give you/me a perfect
example. :)

My only complaint about the "Allow Duplicate Jobs" option is that duplicates
that are canceled are marked with a job exit status of "Fatal Error", which
triggers the Xymon Monitor Bacula check script I wrote.

In other words, I'd like to see a different Job Exit Status for jobs that are
canceled because they were a duplicate so that this additional status could be
tested for and ignored or at least dealt with differently in my Xymon script -
and also in webacula - which shows a default table of "Jobs with errors - last
7 days" in RED.

Cheers!

--
Bill Arlofski