Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple disks as a single storage

2010-02-19 06:44:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple disks as a single storage
From: romain AT dolbeau DOT org (Romain Dolbeau)
To: ylz AT ylz DOT ch (Daniel Kamm), bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:42:34 +0100
Daniel Kamm <ylz AT ylz DOT ch> wrote:

> Some months ago, I was *thinking* of such a similar solution with vtapes
> on hot swap disks. I was thinking of having disks instead of tapes and
> the possibility to have disk volumes (like tape volumes) put in and out
> of a disk array. We need to vacate media for environmental security reasons.
>
> We have chosen tapes becuase,
> a) there was no proof-of-concept (which you now have shown)
> b) hot swap disks are not meant to be exchanged that much.

When we stayed with tapes, our reason was mostly that tapes are
(probably ! no had data here) more resistant when moved around to be
taken to off-site storage. The enclosure is more expensive, but with
LTO-4, the price-to-capacity ratio is about the same than SATA.

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain AT dolbeau DOT org>