Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple disks as a single storage

2010-02-19 06:08:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple disks as a single storage
From: Daniel Kamm <ylz AT ylz DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:05:27 +0100
Am 2/18/10 11:34 PM, schrieb Arthur Emerson III:
> I built a dedicated Bacula SD box from a 2U Intel-branded
> server.  It has 12 x 1TB SATA drives, and boots off of an
> IDE solid state disk.
[..]

Thank you for your information Arthur. You should definitly post your
whole setup on Bacula Wiki, this could be very interesting for further
evaluations.

Some months ago, I was *thinking* of such a similar solution with vtapes
on hot swap disks. I was thinking of having disks instead of tapes and
the possibility to have disk volumes (like tape volumes) put in and out
of a disk array. We need to vacate media for environmental security reasons.

We have chosen tapes becuase,
a) there was no proof-of-concept (which you now have shown)
b) hot swap disks are not meant to be exchanged that much.

But now, you showed, that this way is possible.

Cherrz,
  - Dan