Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mysql Query increases by restore

2010-02-15 14:09:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mysql Query increases by restore
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:05:42 +0100
Hi,

15.02.2010 15:32, Torsten Maus wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a problem, I installed bacula 5.0 on da fresh machine (fresh Mysql
> Server)
>
> My Systems looks like:
>
> - debian lenny
> - Mysql 5.0
> - Bacula 5.0
>
> When I start a backup, the bacula service automated label volumes in the
> appropriate size (so everything works).
>
> When I now run a restore it happens the following:
>
> 1. when I want to run restore I do the following:
>
> * restore
>  * 5
>
> Now the bacula server begin to query and build the tree, the CPU usage auf
> my mysql process launches to 100% and that is it, no change, the file tree
> is not build.

So I would check what MySQL is doing - start with 'mysqladmin -v
processlist' to see if it's the database still querying, or if the
database already sends data to Bacula.

In the first case, you should probably start by tuning your MySQL
installation (which in turns means you first find which resources are
limiting performance), in the latter case you need to look at what
Bacula does.

My impression is that MySQL is getting slow because it's lacking
memory. You may be able to verify that using top, vmstat, sar, or
other such tools. Those might even quickly point you to the things you
should change in your system.

> 2. If I run a restore with a "small" job (1 or 2 files) like the backup
> catalog
> the tree is builded whin a second.
>
> But I can not restore "big" job oder even normal backups.
>
> What has happend ? and why, Backup without restore is somehow not
> suffient :)

What has happened? - Well, you told us yourself: You just installed
and didn't do any performance tuning :-)
The reasons for that are hopefully known to you ;-)

By the way - to get more directed help, or even confirmation from
others that, what you find slow can be faster, you should also tell us
about
RAM in computer
CPU(s)
exact MySQL version
database engines used
database sizes (numbers of rows in the critical tables)
memory in use by MySQL and bacula during the tree building process
the relevant MySQL configuration

Cheers,

Arno

--