Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Cancelled job volume still showing "Full"

2010-02-15 14:08:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Cancelled job volume still showing "Full"
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:04:01 +0200
"Richard Scobie" <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz> kirjoitti viestissä
news:4B79934B.9050604 AT sauce.co DOT nz...
> Is there an extra command that needs to be run, in order to free volume
> space after a job is cancelled?
>
> A job was started on an appendable LTO4 tape and for various reasons it
> was decided to cancel it after it reached the end  and was requesting a
> new volume to be loaded.
>
> After the cancelation, the first volume is still showing as "Full",
> where I would have expected the space used to be the same as before the
> job was strated.

Cancelling a job does not free the storage that the job occupied before it
was cancelled.

Also, there is no way to remove / overwrite the data that a single job wrote
to a volume. But the whole volume can be overwritten, if wanted. So, the
question here is, if the tape already had something valuable written into it
before the job that got canceled.

If everything in the volume in question may be discarded, have a look at
"purge volume" command. But be warned, it ignores any retention times, and
is not limited to certain jobs. Basically, purge operates with the catalog
only, but after the volume is purged (references to its content are removed
from the catalog), it may be recycled, and at this point the volume (tape)
will be used again.

--
TiN