Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to backup the catalog

2010-02-10 13:42:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to backup the catalog
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:38:49 +0100
Hi,

On 02/10/10 04:52 PM, JanJaap Scholing wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> One question, how to backup the catalog.
>
> We are using MySQL for the bacula catalog. This database is
> approximately 46 Gb in size.

Are you using MyISAM or InnoDB ? Backup procedures can vary according to
the MySQL storage engine being used.

> When we use the backup script make_catalog_backup (supplied with bacula)
> to dump the database, bacula is not usable during the mysqldump process
> due to locked tables.
>
> In this case its not possible to make a backup of the catalog every day.
> We don’t like a not responding bacula system ;)
>
> My question is how do you make a good backup of the catalog without
> interrupting the bacula functionality?

For MyISAM I would either deploy filesystem snapshots or replication to
another server for backups of large MySQL databases.

InnoDB is generally more suited for hot backups -  google should be able
to provide you with both commercial and / or open source solutions for
that.

We use filesystem snapshots for MySQL backup (both MyISAM & InnoDB) and
it works very well.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen