Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression - other then GZIP

2010-02-10 10:39:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compression - other then GZIP
From: Sean M Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:36:21 -0600
On 2010Feb10 8:50 AM, Steve Polyack wrote:
> On 2/10/2010 8:16 AM, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
>>> I want use bzip2 to compress my file, because I thing bzip2 is more
>>> efficient...
>>>
>> Really?
[...]
>> 255526 bytes less while six times slower..
>>
> This is extremely dependent on the contents of foo.iso.  I don't think
> its a good test because you are only seeing 10% compression either way.
> There is a good chance that much of the data within your ISO is already
> compressed.  When using data which is typically more compressible (text
> and other data that is not already compressed), the resulting size of
> something compressed with bzip2 can be much smaller than when compressed
> using gzip.  It's true that it is much slower, but if he's talking about
> it being more efficient in terms of disk space used, then he is correct.

xz/lzma is another consideration.  At moderate compression levels, lzma
seems to be about the same or slightly faster than bzip2 with a little
better compression.  At lower compression levels it seems like it's
about as fast as gzip while compressing noticeably farther - at least
in the small amount of testing I've done so far with the "xz"
implementation of lzma compression.

(The small amount of testing I've done so far suggests to me that xz
with a compression level of 1 runs about as fast as gzip4 with
compression at or better than gzip7, approaching bzip2 for some types of
files.  Cranking up to xz 6 or 7 runs a bit faster than bzip2 default
but tends to give better compression.)