Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bug in autolabel code in 5.0.0?

2010-02-04 15:28:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] bug in autolabel code in 5.0.0?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:25:29 -0500

Richard Scobie wrote:
> Bob Hetzel wrote:
>>
>> Has anybody gotten 5.0.0 to label tapes properly?  I upgraded to 5.0.0 a
>> couple days ago and backups worked that first night until they ran out of
>> appendable (i.e. already partially written) media.  Since that point,
>> I've
>> been completely stuck.
>
> Is bacula the only thing you changed?
>
> Are restores from tape working OK or do you still see the ERR=Device or
> resource busy?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Your question made me take a step back... I've been in kind of a conundrum
lately.  Over the last few months sometimes the problems I've had running
bacula have cropped up after installing OS updates and the thought occurred
to me that some of my issues could be due to the dynamically linked
libraries being upgraded w/o bacula being recompiled.  So when I thought I
was ready to build and install bacula 5.0.0 I figured that would be a good
time to install the OS updates.  The first one that popped up was the
update from 9.04 to 9.10 Ubuntu update.  So I went through that, then built
and installed Bacula 5.0.0.  Then the problems started.

So now I've tried re-compiling Bacula 3.0.3 and installing that and it is
having the same problems so the issue must be related to the Ubuntu upgrade.

My next thought was to try use "tar" to read and write from a tape.  That
works fine:  I've been able to back up an entire directory and restore
files from it.  I've also back up a single file and restored that file,
comparing it to the original file and no differences were found.

Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 brought along a ton of upgraded programs and
libraries so I've no idea where to begin.

Has anybody got any other ideas?

     Bob