Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Incr/Diff upgrading to Full even after doing a Full?

2010-01-28 23:42:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Incr/Diff upgrading to Full even after doing a Full?
From: Steve Costaras <stevecs AT chaven DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:39:29 -0600

On 01/28/2010 06:10, Dan Langille wrote:
> Steve Costaras wrote:

>>> Uhhh ...  No.  Creating different jobs (and therefore different
>>> schedules, if you think about it) for every level of every client's
>>> backups would be wasteful duplication.
>>>
>>> I think you'll agree that the Name field needs to exist in the Job
>>> record so that the Director can tell one job from another.  The Client
>>> field is needed so that Bacula knows which client it's supposed to back
>>> up.  I'm baffled as to how you think Bacula could possibly operate if
>>> jobs had no name to distinguish them and didn't specify which client
>>> they were supposed to operate on.
>>>
>> No, I was suggesting that if you only had one job per client (i.e.
>> both job name and client in the job resource) then the job name and
>> client would be the SAME that seems to be duplication.
>>
>> job {
>>   name "client1"
>>   client "client1"
>> }
>>
>> is duplication you could just do
>>
>> job {
>>   client "client1"
>> }
>>
>> for the same effect.   Why have both name & client?
>
> For starters, one reason: so you *can* have more than one Job per Client.

And that brings this full circle.   That's what I did have (multiple
jobs per client) however when you do that each time you run a different
job there does not appear to be any logic to track that it's for the
same client so you get upgraded to fulls for each job of a different
name (and the reason for this thread.  ;)  )   So if you are supposed to
be able to do that, then there's something amiss.  From what I am seeing
it does not appear to work that way.