Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How it optimize the transfer speed.

2010-01-26 04:56:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How it optimize the transfer speed.
From: Frédéric Passerin <fred AT nfrance DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:39:24 +0100
Le mardi 26 janvier 2010 09:03:38, Cyril Lavier a écrit :
> Hi.

Hello Cyril.

> Now that my exclude rule works perfectly (thank you guys), I just begin
> to see a problem.
>
> Backups are made on a LAN 100Mbit.

Mine are made in the same way. I'm actually deploying Bacula in my enterprise
and my test platform is only at 100Mbit.

> But the actual speed of bacula's backup is about 22GB/hour, it's about
> 50Mbit/second, so it's the half of the actual capacity of the network.

Check the write speed on the SD. I was very limited in speed until I activate
the cache on the 3ware RAID card of the SD.

For example, after activating the cache, the backup of a client running
FreeBSD 8:
Job write elapsed time = 00:00:17, Transfer rate = 10.53 M bytes/second

I think this is pretty close to the maximum speed :-)

I disabled file compression too on the client side.

But, the performance are linked, IMHO, to the client too.
Example: My station, a Sun Blade 1500 running under Debian Squeeze:
Job write elapsed time = 00:00:17, Transfer rate = 3.115 M bytes/second
Compared to the previous results obtained with the FreeBSD machine (a core2duo
with old IDE disks) this is quite slow.

I'm currently testing Bacula on Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva, FreeBSD(5.5, 6.4,
7.1, 8) and DragonFlyBSD.

In December, the 8, there was a long thread debating around network transfer
speed. Maybe you could read it too :)

Regards,

Fred.