Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Rif: How it optimize the transfer speed.

2010-01-26 09:26:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Rif: How it optimize the transfer speed.
From: Cyril Lavier <clavier AT ltutech DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:12:18 +0100
Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 01/26/10 04:24, Ferdinando Pasqualetti wrote:
>
>> Hello Cyril,
>> did you try using compression? Compression is done at client level, so,
>> if you have CPU power, you could get higher throughput.
>> In my eperience it is very hard to obtain a throughput higher than 50%
>> of nominal capacity of the wire.
>>

> I cannot share that experience unless you're using a hub rather than a
> switch.
>
> Cyril, I would look at the load on all the machines involved,
> particularly the machine running the catalog and Director.  You also did
> not specify what you're backing up to.

I'm backing up a big amount of small files (yes, it's the worst case),
it's the homedirs of the users.

We only use switchs.

I tried iperf between the 2 servers, and it displays 89Mbit/s, so it's
pretty good.

The server running the catalog and the director doesn't use a particular
amount of ressources during the backup process.

Thanks.

--
Cyril LAVIER | Systems Administrator | LTU Technologies
132 Rue de Rivoli - 75001 Paris France