Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Which tapes to put into the tape library?

2010-01-21 12:32:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Which tapes to put into the tape library?
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:30:00 +0100
Dan Langille wrote:
> I have about 100 tapes.  My tape library holds only 10 tapes.
>
> How do you decide which tapes to load into the library?  What strategy do
> you use?

We've gotten a perl-script that gets run as a post-admin script after
eacy cycle. It has knowledge about the Pool, their retention times and
the physical layout of the library, so tapes to "be removed" can be
transferred to slots easily accessible when standing in front of the
library. There is 185 slots, 2 drives in the library and 694 mixed
LTO3/LTO4 tapes in 4 pools (Archive, Full, Differential, Incremental).

The strategy is to keep tapes in the library for the first weeks after
they have been used for backup in order to make the "chance" of making a
restore without manually having to put tapes in the library. Then
suggest them to be "removed" and subsequently put back into the library
a couple of weeks before they would be automatically recycled.

Drop me an email if you want it, it needs to be hacked to fit the
library and so on..

--
Jesper