Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restoring directly from archived files (catalog recreation)

2010-01-16 19:13:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restoring directly from archived files (catalog recreation)
From: Ross Boylan <RossBoylan AT stanfordalumni DOT org>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:10:37 -0800
Answering myself, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 15:32 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:

> (I got this error earlier too).  My retention policy likely has nuked
> them in the main database.  Given that I have a backup of the
> catalog*,
> and the volumes with the files, what's my best move?

Restore the job that backed up the old catalog.
Shut bacula down.
Backup the database.
Restore the old database from the file restored in the first step.
Startup bacula.
Restore files.
Shut down bacula.
Restore current state of db.
Restart bacula.

I guess I could also use bscan, but I recall that was pretty slow when I
used it years ago.

It would be nice if there were a way to merge the old and the new db.

Will the retention policy immediately zap the catalog entries I restore?

Ross

P.S. I burn my monthly full backups and leave mid-month things on disk.
As luck would have it, I just deleted the intermediate Dec backups
yesterday, and that's probably what I really need.