Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restoring directly from archived files

2010-01-16 19:02:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restoring directly from archived files
From: Ross Boylan <RossBoylan AT stanfordalumni DOT org>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:59:20 -0800
Bluch.  Let me clarify and then add some updates:
On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 15:32 -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> First, what happens if a file exists on multiple devices?  For
> example,
> my DVD files (like a volume with the catalog) as of the date I burned
> it.  It has since been appended to, so a newer version lives on my
> regular disk.

One of the on-disk volumes is "Catalog2009-12-01_2650".  The same file
is on disk, but it's been modified more recently.  What happens if I
attempt to restore from this volume?

I've made some further changes.

I got an error from bacula-sd:
Restarting Bacula Storage daemon: 16-Jan 15:42 bacula-sd: ERROR TERMINATION at
stored_conf.c:667
Attempt to define second "device" resource named "File2Storage" is not
permitted.

So I renamed the storage to DVD2Storage (even though I thought I read it
had to be the same name for the restore to work).  I also added this to
the director config:
<quote>
# Definition of file storage device
Storage {
  Name = DVD2Storage
  Address = corn.betterworld.us
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "abc"
  Device = DVD2Storage
  Media Type = File2
}
</quote>

My bconsole session went like this:
<quote>
*restore jobid=4230 storage=DVD2Storage
You have selected the following JobId: 4230

Building directory tree for JobId 4230 ...
There were no files inserted into the tree, so file selection
is not possible.Most likely your retention policy pruned the files

Do you want to restore all the files? (yes|no): no
Warning default storage overridden by "DVD2Storage" on command line.
Bootstrap records written to /var/lib/bacula/corn-dir.restore.2.bsr

The job will require the following
   Volume(s)                 Storage(s)                SD Device(s)

   Full2009-12-06_2658       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2659       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2660       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2661       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2662       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2663       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2664       File2Storage              File2Storage
   Full2009-12-06_2665       File2Storage              File2Storage

99,777 files selected to be restored.

Defined Clients:
     1: wheat-fd
     2: corn-fd
Select the Client (1-2): 2
Run Restore job
JobName:         RestoreFiles
Bootstrap:       /var/lib/bacula/corn-dir.restore.2.bsr
Where:           /usr/local
Replace:         always
FileSet:         Full Set
Backup Client:   corn-fd
Restore Client:  corn-fd
Storage:         DVD2Storage
When:            2010-01-16 15:50:28
Catalog:         MyCatalog
OK to run? (yes/mod/no):
</quote>

Note that I've now copied all the named volumes to their original
location.  I'm not sure if "The job will require the following..."
indicates some kind of error, such as being unable to find the volumes,
or not.

Thanks, John and Dan, for your help.
Ross Boylan