Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows: "... is a different filesystem. Will not descend from...."

2010-01-14 06:01:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows: "... is a different filesystem. Will not descend from...."
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Bacula Users List <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:35:30 +0000
Hi,

many thanks for clearing this up for me.

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Josh Fisher wrote:

> Windows calls these "junction points". Windows implements directory
> symlinks as junction points, the only difference being that rather than a
> completely different filesystem being mounted at the junction point, a
> subsection (directory) of the same filesystem is re-mounted at the
> junction point. Therefore, Bacula sees these junction points as a
> different filesystem, (as it should).

I had imagined this alright, but my initial investigation seemed to
contradict it.  It seems I was confusing myself.

It turns out that Samba displays junction points in a slightly odd way that
if you create a file in the junction point directory, you can list that
file in the location, but if you do a directory listing (on the junction
point), you find it's empty and has appeared in the other location.  If you
do a unix find for the file, you'll only see it once.

gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ sudo touch  Users/johnm/Documents/My\
Videos/somefile.txt
gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ ls -la Users/johnm/Documents/My\
Videos/somefile.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-01-14 10:21 Users/johnm/Documents/My
Videos/somefile.txt
gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ sudo ls -la Users/johnm/Documents/My\
Videos/somefile.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-01-14 10:21 Users/johnm/Documents/My
Videos/somefile.txt
gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ sudo ls -la Users/johnm/Documents/My\ Videos/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 2009-08-12 19:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 28672 2009-12-15 11:24 ..
gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ sudo ls -la Users/johnm/Documents/My\
Videos/somefile.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-01-14 10:21 Users/johnm/Documents/My
Videos/somefile.txt
gavinmc@ceartgoleor:/mnt/tmp1$ sudo ls -la Users/johnm/Videos/
total 98005
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     4096 2010-01-14 10:21 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root    12288 2010-01-08 17:18 ..
<snip>
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root        0 2010-01-14 10:21 somefile.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root        0 2010-01-13 15:33 test.txt

> You should not be concerned. Either ignore the messages or else
> exclude those directory names in the FileSet  used by Vista/7
> clients.

I'll probably ignore them to keep the output clean -- overly verbose output
like this causes people to ignore it entirely.

Would it be possible for Bacula to give a more precise answer?  The
message:
        "xxxxx.... is a different filesystem"

isn't always true.  In this case, we're talking about a symlink (of sorts)
to the same filesystem.  From your explanation it seems it can be either,
so it might be clearer if bacula could either used a less specific warning
or checked which and warned accordingly.

I can report this as a bug if that makes sense?

Gavin