Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows: "... is a different filesystem. Will not descend from...."

2010-01-14 10:46:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd on windows: "... is a different filesystem. Will not descend from...."
From: Sean M Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:43:52 -0600
On 2010Jan14 7:25 AM, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
[...]
> One way to make it more concise would be to drop the repetition of
> the directory name, something like.
>
> <fd-name> JobId XXXXX:
> c:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
> links elsewhere. Not Following.
>
> If the code could work out whether the junction actually points to
> another filesystem or not, you could have two errors.
>
> <fd-name> JobId XXXXX:
> c:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
> links to a different filesystem. Not following. <fd-name> JobId
> XXXXX:
> c:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a
> links elsewhere in the filesystem. Not following.
>
> These are just suggestions of course.  I'm not sure if this loses
> some useful information in some cases.
>
> Gavin

Assuming it's reasonable, it would be even better (though admittedly
more verbose) if the message also listed WHERE it linked, so that the
person watching the backup logs can readily tell for sure whether they
have the "real" location in the fileset.

e.g.

"c:/Users is a link to c:/Documents and Settings .  Not following."

The Administrator then immediately knows that so long as "c:/Documents
and Settings" is showing up on the backups that they don't need to worry
about it (and if it isn't, that they'd better fix it.)

/Users vs. "/Documents and Settings" might be kind of obvious -
presumably someone is checking to make sure the users' files are getting
backed up anyway - but obscure system bits like
"c:/windows/assembly/blahblahblah" is a little more difficult.  I know
it wouldn't be obvious to me where to look to see if its real contents
were being backed up...