Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] archive support?

2010-01-13 19:52:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] archive support?
From: Kelvin Raywood <kray AT triumf DOT ca>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:48:10 -0800

Dan Langille wrote:
> I don't know how to reconcile your statements with the replies.
>
> What, specifically, is missing from what you've heard?

I think for the case of "archive files and remove from disk",
then Bacula, can already handle it with an appropriate long retention
times as described in the other posts.  The file records will remain in
the database but that's not a problem as those files aren't part of your
regular backup.

The more general case of "archiving what you regularly backup" is to
periodically do a virtual full-backup to some tapes which are then
removed.  In those cases you want to export the database records that
correspond to the archive jobs and remove them from your regular-backup
catalog.  You would them import those records into a separate archive
catalog.   This way, a normal restore would come from your regular
backup media and your regular-backup catalog would not grow
indefinitely. If you need to restore from your archive, you would bacula
to the archive catalog.

This requires item 22 on the current project list.

"Item 22: Ability to import/export Bacula database entities"

In the voting last May I gave this item highest priority.

Kel Raywood