Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question about restores and multiple pools

2010-01-13 19:52:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question about restores and multiple pools
From: Jon Schewe <jpschewe AT mtu DOT net>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:38:04 -0600
On 01/13/2010 02:09 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:

>> I have standard backups (incremental, differential, full) going to tape
>> using a pool named Default. I have weekly full backups going to an
>> external drive using a pool named Offsite. Now when I do a restore I
>> would like bacula to only consider the backups in the Default pool and
>> to ignore those in the Offsite pool. Is this possible?
>>
> No.

That's too bad. Can it be specified by job? Since I have different jobs
for offsite and standard, one could possibly differentiate based upon that.

>> Related question: When bacula is considering which is the most recent
>> full backup to compute differences for a differential backup will it
>> consider all job definitions and thus consider my Offsite pool? Or will
>> it just consider just the currently running Job definition and thus use
>> only the Default pool (tapes)?
>>
> It will consider the most recent occurrence of the named job with level Full.
>
> If you have a single job definition doing both standard and offsite backups,
> then there is a danger that the differential will be based relative to the
> offsite backup.  It might be better to define a separate job for the offsite
> backup, using the same client and fileset as the regular job.

I have separate job definitions, so I should OK here.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39