Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] archive support?

2010-01-12 09:28:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] archive support?
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 AT frii DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:17:26 -0700
On 01/12/2010 12:46 AM, Ralf Gross wrote:
> Thomas Wakefield schrieb:
>> Take a directory, dump it to tape, and it will live forever (roughly
>> 5-10 years) on tape.  And the copy on disk will be deleted.  But if
>> needed, we could pull the copy back from tape.  We could possibly
>> write 2 copies to tape for redundancy.
>>
>> I already use bacula to protect over 100TB of spinning disk.  But i
>> have multiple TB of data that my users "might" want to use again,
>> but most likely they don't need it.
>
> We have the same problems here. Large sets of data that might never be
> touched again. To backup this, I setup a second client entry for each
> of the server with a different retention time (30y). After an archive
> was backed up (with a dump of the DB) to tape I change the status of
> the last tape from append to used and put all tapes in a safe.

I am just starting to use Bacula but one of my interests is
using it to archive old data also.

Is there any Bacula development policy regarding the compatibility
of new versions of the software with old media?  Will I be able
to restore from my Bacula-2.4.4 tapes or dvds with Bacula-6.3 in
2017?  (Obviously sans media degradation.)