Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Is a Verify Job reliable on Windows ?

2010-01-07 15:52:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Is a Verify Job reliable on Windows ?
From: Guillaume Laurès <glaures AT lauresconseil DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:29:55 +0100
Hello fellow bacula users,

I ran on a small issue today, using a Verify Job for the first time.
I backed up 6000+ files, around 55 Gb (a Windows whole drive). Then I
changed the letter of the drive, and restored all the files on a new
partition under the original letter. Restore went okay, except for a
minor a file number discrepancy (mark * "trap" ?).
I need to wipe the original partition, and I don't remember if the
restore job does a SHA1 check after restore against the Catalog, so I
wanted to do one by myself before erasing the original data.
Strangely enough running a Verify Job shows SHA1 differences for
around 50 files :-(
The oddity is that when I check-summed an original big zip file
against the restored one with the file checksum utility from
Microsoft, I found the very same SHA1 sig for both files. Note that
this one is far from being equal to either one Bacula reports for this
zip file... Some very small text files containing SHA1/MD5 cheksums
where reported incorrect too, whereas they are indeed identical.

Setup :
- server is Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS backup, with 3.0.3 installed from
sources, virtualized in ESXi 3.5 (yes, I ran btape tests for several
hours, ran fine albeit slower than drive official speed)
- client is Windows 2003 Server 32bit, with 3.0.3a installed from the
sourceforge binary
- device is DLT-7000 with hardware compression turned off.

Fileset used to backup :
FileSet {
   Name = "Donnees serveur"
   Include {
     Options {
       Signature = SHA1
       Compression = GZIP6
     }
     File = "E:/"
   }
}

The one used for the Verify Job (w/ Type = Disk to Catalog) just adds
"Verify = pinsug1" in the options under Compression.

Any idea why Bacula thinks it's wrong whereas it's not ?

Thanks for your help,

--
Guillaume Laurès
Laurès Conseil - Ingénieur Systèmes freelance