Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Documentation and translations

2010-01-03 14:10:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Documentation and translations
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-docs" <bacula-docss AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:08:34 +0100
Hello,

The other day, Eric pointed out to me that some of the manuals that we have
posted in different languages are quite out of date -- in fact, the partial
French translation apparently dates from version 1.38.

As a consequence, starting with a few days ago with what is currently the
development version 3.1.8, which will be released as version 5.0.0 sometime
probably in January, I have reset all the foreign translations of the manual
(French, Spanish, and German) to be identical to the current English manual.

As we go forward, it would be really nice to have up to date translations.
However, it is a lot of work.  With the new git repo, it is much easier to
maintain several versions of the manual and quite easily upload them, and
going foward, we will maintain old versions of the manual in separate links
on the web site.

 If any of you would like to start working on the previous translations to
bring them up to date, it would be great.  The only requirement would be to
translate a whole chapter at a time.  Once that is done, it is relatively
easy to post it.

If any of you want to checkout a version of the manual that has the old
translations (it might be easier to start from an old one than starting from
nothing), you can checkout the repo, then checkout a branch from the
tag "Reset-translations", and you will have what existed prior to me copying
the English over all the translations.

Please note,  there was a major re-organization of the manuals in version
3.0.0, and since then, I have re-organized them again in 3.1.8.  Although
there will be additional changes to the English version of the manual prior
to release, there will not be any more major re-organizations until after the
next major release.

I hope you all had a great holiday season and survived seeing the New Year
in ...

Best regards,

Kern