Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] IPv6 bug - was RE: Windows client firewalling problem

2009-12-22 05:27:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] IPv6 bug - was RE: Windows client firewalling problem
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 02:21:43 -0800

I found the problem; in case somebody else runs into this and finds this post, here is the solution:

There seems to be a bug in bacula (3.0.x) related to IPv6. It only listens on IPv4, but establishes connections on IPv6 if an AAAA record is present (bacula bug report is filed with details). The Windows Firewall is not the culprit, but exposes the problem, probably because the failing IPv6 connection times out instead of being rejected.

The workaround is to do one of the following:

-          Turn off the Windows Firewall.

-          Create alternate DNS names for each machine involved that have only A but no AAAA records associated, and use these alternate names in the bacula configuration files.