Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives

2009-12-15 12:46:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:43:00 +0000
Hi,

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Kendall Shaw wrote:

> Do you have a recommendation? I'm backing up my home computers. The
> point of doing the full backup only once, was to avoid transferring the
> same files over and over again every week. Maybe it's not worth avoiding
> doing the full backup every week.

If you just want to avoid the data transfer, I'd suggest you take a look at
virtualfull backups which were added in v3.  It doesn't save you space
particularly, but it saves the transfers.

VirtualFull jobs "consolidate" a prior full backup and some subsequent
differential and incremental backups into a new full backup.  There are
some tricks to getting it working though (you have to have your volumes on
different "devices" as bacula won't read from and write to the same device
at once.  If you picture your devices as tape drives, that's easy to
understand.  You should also be using accurate backups for this to work
right.

Gavin