Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives

2009-12-15 12:23:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up to multiple hard drives
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:20:41 -0800
On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 09:46 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Kendall Shaw wrote:
>
> > I have a 300GB hard drive that I backup to a 600GB hard drive, but the
> > initial full backup runs out of space (it takes almost twice as much
> > space to hold the backup?).
>
> Something sounds wrong there.  Are you saying that a single volume for a
> single backup is more than twice the size of the data being backed up? Do
> you have compression on? Perhaps you might want to post the log message
> from the backup, the job config and the output of "df -h" on the computer.

Yes, that's what I saw. I'll post the log later, I can't do it now. But,
I wanted to ask a question:

[...]

> > An additional detail is that I use a scheme were I do a full backup
> > once (ever) and then only incremental and differential after that,
> > reusing volumes each week.
>
> It's up to you of course, but I'm not sure this is a wise scheme.  How do
> you ever free up space from old backups?  You can't ever delete the
> original full backup or all of the incrementals and differentials that
> follow it will be useless.  You can, I guess, have an ever growing
> differential, but over time that will start to look like a full backup as
> 30%,40%,50%,.... of the data you backup has changed since the original
> full.

Do you have a recommendation? I'm backing up my home computers. The
point of doing the full backup only once, was to avoid transferring the
same files over and over again every week. Maybe it's not worth avoiding
doing the full backup every week.

Kendall