Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Overriding Client's Job/File retention?

2009-12-08 13:37:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Overriding Client's Job/File retention?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:31:35 +0200
"Thomas Mueller" <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch> kirjoitti viestissä
news:hflt3c$6ot$1 AT ger.gmane DOT org...

> Am Tue, 08 Dec 2009 14:17:07 +0200 schrieb Timo Neuvonen:
>
>> Is there any way to override Job/File retention periods that are
>> specified in the Client part of Director configuration?
>>
>> This need arises, when I use the same Client spec to run both "daily"
>> and "archive" backups.
>>
>> "Archive" ones are run very seldom, and written to non-recyclable
>> volumes. They are meant to be kept for years, and their file/job records
>> should be kept in the catalog too.
>
> i've set the client retention to something very high (10 years) and the
> pool retentions to the desired period.  the lower of the 2 will take
> precedence.

Do you mean with "pool retentions" volume retention, or is it somehow
possible to specify file/job retention too for a pool?

Volume retention does take precedence in the sense that longer file/job
retention values don't prevent recycling. But my original (possibly
unclearly expressed) point was that since volume retention expiration does
not (and must not) force any recycle yet, also the file/job records will
stay in the catalog longer than volume retention -until the volume really
gets recycled. This will significantly extend the lifetime of file/job
records, and thus the catalog size.

So, I'd like to get rid of the file/job records _before_ recycling takes
place.