Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Overriding Client's Job/File retention?

2009-12-08 07:46:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Overriding Client's Job/File retention?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:17:07 +0200
Is there any way to override Job/File retention periods that are specified
in the Client part of Director configuration?

This need arises, when I use the same Client spec to run both "daily" and
"archive" backups.

"Archive" ones are run very seldom, and written to non-recyclable volumes.
They are meant to be kept for years, and their file/job records should be
kept in the catalog too.

The regular daily ones are kept in recyclable volumes, with volume retention
of 3 months, for example, and real-life recycling period is currently 5-6
months.

Now, I've set File and Job retention to 5 years, to make sure the records of
the "archive" backups will be kept "for ever". However, this has a
side-effect that also the records of the daily backups of the same clients
will be kept until the volumes are actually recycled, though the volumes
were much older than even required by the volume retention. As a result, I
have plenty of catalog information up to 5-6 months old, which makes the
"list jobs" list very long and especially, unnecessarily grows up the
catalog.

So, how to overcome this?

a) if I set File/Job Retention of all the Clients to, say, 2 months, these
records of the daily backups would be pruned sooner. Great. But AFAIK, this
would also prune as soon the records of the archive backups of the same
clinets, something I'm trying to avoid. I think the pruning will happen
anyway, though it would apply to volume that is not recyclable (the
archives)?

b) if I have File/job Retention set to several years to keep the records of
the archives in the catalog, I'll also keep having huge number of relatively
old records for volumes that are waiting to be recycled. Not so great.

- So far, I haven't found any way to specify pool/volume-spesific exceptions
to Job/File retention, AFAIK they are only Client-spesific concepts.

- Do pruning of File/Job records really apply to non-recyclable volumes too,
like I think? If not, then there is no problem at all. Pls. correct me, if
I've mistaken.

- The Dirty Way: specify two Client sections per physical client machine,
with different retentions. Not so nice, I think, but it should be
foolproof...

- The Hard Work Way: manually delete weekly (or script it) the unwanted
records of more than 3 months old. No, thanks...

Good ideas are welcome!

Regards,
Timo