Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 287GB data, 100MB/day, 2 weeks restore. Howto setup

2009-12-08 04:51:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 287GB data, 100MB/day, 2 weeks restore. Howto setup
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:46:21 +0000
Hi,

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009, Niklas Hagman wrote:

> Thank you James for that answer. As I expected, 2 full backups seems to
> be needed to exist to be able to have 2 weeks possibility to restore.
>
> But what about this:
> (F = full, I= incremental. Day 1 to day 13.)
> F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I
> Then merge the oldest incremental with the full one, creating something
> like this:
> F+I+F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I
> I can then remove the first F+I without loosing my 2 weeks possibility
> to restore.
>
> Is this possible?

I'm not sure, but is it really worth the complexity and extra work on your
backup server (which will have to read and rewrite a full backup every
night)?  You could just do:

day 15: F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+F
day 16: F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+F+I
day 28: F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+F2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2
(recycle)
day 29: F2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2+I2

The only extra space required is that to store the incrementals which is
apparently about 1.4GB.  In return, you'll have backups for extra (14 < i <
28) days depending on the day of the fortnight which might be useful at
some point.

> I have played around with "run job= level=VirtualFull" and have notice
> that it always create a full backup last in the chain. Like this
> F+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+I+F. Maybe it exist some parameters so I can
> control this more?

I think the general principle of the virtualfull backup (as least as I've
understood it) is that you can avoid loading your live server running a
full backup every 2 weeks (in this case).  It's not really about saving
space and I really don't think the above is worth the hassle.

If you're using SATA hard disks and complicating things to skimp on 2GB
then one might be inclined to question how much you value this data?  It's
your choice of course though :-)

Gavin